Sorry, dear readers, for the blog doldrums around here. During the beginning of this week I was very busy with duties at work and at home, leaving little time for crafting or blogging. Today was a busy day, also, but this afternoon gave me some time to get caught up on things at home. I even made dinner today! Yeah! Bret and I have been scrounging up things or eating leftovers all week. This afternoon, I had time to start a GINORMOUS pot of Super Chili, my favorite fall/winter food. We ate some of it tonight with cornbread. I’m freezing the rest so that as work gets busier and busier until the insanity that is Christmas-time, we’ll be able to just thaw some out and have a warm meal with little time and effort. I want to do this with my mom’s stew recipe too.
1 lb ground beef
2 cans Rotel tomatoes (I use one Original and one Mild)
1 large can diced tomatoes
2 cans each of 3 different types of beans (I use black, red, and navy)
2 cans of corn (or half of a frozen corn package)
1 package Ranch Dressing mix
1 package taco seasoning
1) Brown the meat in a dutch oven or large pot.
2) Add all the canned goods and let simmer for at least 1 hour (longer than that is good).
3) Stir in the Ranch Dressing and taco seasoning and let simmer for at least half an hour longer. Serve hot (I like to top mine with cheese).
Southern Buttermilk Cornbread
1 1/2 cups cornmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 large eggs
1) Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Grease a 10-inch cast iron skillet and let heat in the oven.
2) In a large bowl, stir together all ingredients until well mixed. Pour into hot skillet.
3) Bake for about 20 minutes.
Note: I own only one cast iron skillet, which I got for FREE at a garage sale, but it makes WONDERFUL cornbread! If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, just grease a 9-inch round pan or an 8-inch square pan. I wouldn’t recommend heating the normal pans in the oven beforehand, some of them don’t do well if there’s nothing inside them. Cook the cornbread for about 30 minutes.